Thursday, November 17, 2011

Florence and the Machine - Ceremonials

Florence and the Machines second album just came out. I picked up her first album based on reviews in Q magazine (a British music magazine). It was one of my favorite albums of 2009. I was prepared for the sophomore slump.

I am pleasantly surprised. She has taken her sound and moved It forward in a very mature, natural way. The album sounds very familiar. This is partly due to her using the same producer as Adele used for 21. You can hear small similarities between the two albums, but really, it is just the British homage to American rhythm and blues that we hear all the time.

The album is not as powerful as Lungs. It is more melodic and polished. This is a rare instance where I actually like the more polished sound.

It has become very popular in my car with the girls.

I originally wrote this a week ago.  They were great on Saturday Night Live this week.  She is still developing her stage presence.  Her voice is huge, and the new songs really take advantage of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment