Tuesday, February 11, 2014

2013 Playlist

Every year seems to have a theme to it, this year it appears to be the return of the single.  I liked lots of songs, but very few albums really grabbed my attention.  I spent the majority of the year listening to playlists as opposed to albums.

This is reflected in this year's list.  It is exceptionally long at 28 songs, 1:40 in length.  It is almost exactly the length of the drive from my house to my parent's house in Bellingham.

The one large influence to this year's list was our trip to Scotland where I heard Kodaline, The 1975, and Frank Turner all week while we were there.

Here are links to the lists on Rdio and Spotify:

Rdio LIst
Spotify List

Here is the list.  As always, it is in the order I like to listen to it, not the order of my favorite songs.

Song - Artist - Album

Signal 30 - Public Service Broadcasting - Signal 30 EP
Diane Young - Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
Tell Me - Veronica Falls - Waiting for Something to Happen
Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High? - Arctic Monkeys - AM
Woke Up In A Police Car - Oblivians - Desperation
Step Up for the Cool Cats - Palma Violets - 180
Royals - Lorde - Pure Heroine
High Hopes - Kodaline - High 
Chocolate - The 1975 - Music For Cars EP
Suit & Tie - Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience [Deluxe Edition]
Blurred Lines - Robin Thicke/Pharrell Williams - Blurred Lines
Story of My Life - One Direction - Midnight Memories
Recovery - Frank Turner - Tape Deck Heart
Q.U.E.E.N. [feat. Erykah Badu] - Janelle Monáe - The Electric Lady
Lightning Bolt - Jake Bugg - Jake Bugg
This Is Our Time - Willie Nile - American Ride
Sacrilege - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito
GMF - John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts
The Stars (Are Out Tonight) - David Bowie - The Next Day
It Starts and Ends With You - The London Suede - Bloodsports
Upstarts - Johnny Marr - Johnny Marr - Upstarts
Eliza - Anna Calvi - One Breath
Bury My Bones - Pure Love - Anthems
When You Get To Asheville - Steve Martin/Edie Brickell - Love Has Come For You
Pompeii - Bastille - Pompeii
I Wanna Know - Best Coast - Fade Away
Do It Again - Camera Obscura - Desire Lines
Right Action - Franz Ferdinand - Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action

Notes:

  1. Lightning Bolt  probably should have been a 2012 song, but, I didn't hear it until this summer.  I included it because it was interchangeable with a couple of songs on this year's Shangri La album and I like it better as a song.
  2. I was aware of Macklemore/Ryan Lewis' album - The Heist last year, making it a 2012 album.  I really came around to liking a number of the songs on the album, but in my mind it was a 2012 release.  
  3. The same thing happened with Madness' Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da.  I just heard it too late to include it.

No comments:

Post a Comment