Sunday, February 16, 2014

Top Ten Albums of 2013 - 10 through 6

10. Goldfrapp - Tales of Us - They have moved away from their dance oriented electronic music to a lovely, quieter album that I think suits Alison Goldfrapp's voice better.









9. Willie Nile - American Ride - I try to avoid Springsteen retreads, but this has some snap to it that is missing in the originator's current work.  The work it really reminds me of is the under appreciated Mink DeVille album, Coup de Grace. This is a new album in a very specific genre and I enjoyed it.







8. Camera Obscura - Desire Lines - They make an album and I love it.  I hear the single early in the year and instantly recognized it as them.  I chased down the album and I enjoy it as much as the last two.  There is nothing new here, just light, breezy pop music that is very refreshing.








7. Jake Bugg - Shangri La - His first album had some good songs, but it had a world weary feel to it that didn't match his youth.  This album seems to fit him better.  He went to Malibu and recorded with Rick Rubin.  They used Elvis Costello's drummer, Pete Thomas, and he really drives the songs.  I thought this was just another kid from England with a Noel Gallagher haircut that had a fascination with American roots music, but now I think he has a future.





6. Public Service Broadcasting - Inform, Educate, Entertain - If you would have told me at the start of the year, that I would like an album where the artists played music and used public service announcement recordings as the lyrics, I would have said it wasn't possible.  Here it is.  From the moment I heard Signal 30 I was hooked.  The surprising part is it works (think about it, it is the opposite of rap music).  I doubt their next album will be as interesting, but I enjoyed this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment