Friday, February 14, 2014

Introduction to This Year's Top 10 Albums

As I mentioned in my playlist post, it was a hard year for me to find albums that I liked.  I eventually came up with a list, but I am not as excited about it as I have been in the past.  I think it is a function of where I was listening to most of my music (in the car, at work), as I seem to listen to albums when I am sitting around at home.

Here are the honorable mentions for this year:


Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines - Robin Thicke, Daft Punk, Arcade Fire and Justin Timberlake all made albums that sounded like dance music from 1979.  Of those, I thought Robin Thicke's was the best.  I didn't see that coming.







Pet Shop Boys - Electric - This year was a big year for acts that have been in the business a long time to issue new material.  David Bowie, Suede, Johnny Marr, Elvis Costello and the Pet Shop Boys all put new material out. I like the Pet Shop Boys album the best.  There was nothing new on any of these albums, but they all showed the high level of skill that they have when making new music.





Janelle Monáe - The Electric Lady - I get it.  She is in the middle of a trilogy about how android/robots are taking over society.  The music is so good that she needs to write songs about real people.  The robot thing just doesn't connect.







Arctic Monkeys - AM - A really well made album.  If you like desert/stoner rock this album is for you.  I just got tired of it once I got past the hits.  I am waiting for the next Shadow Puppets album.

No comments:

Post a Comment