Thursday, January 21, 2016

Top Ten Albums of 2015 - 10 through 6



Leon Bridges - Coming Home - This is a classic Memphis soul album with a hint of Texas in it.  Usually, when there is this much hype about a new soul artist, it doesn't bear out. This is a solid, traditional, soul album with the energy of a new artist.








Ashley Monroe - The Blade - This is a traditional country album with a bit of a twist. The main line from the title track ("You caught it by the handle/And I caught it by the blade") is wrapped within a standard love lost ballad such that it's imagery catches you off guard.  The rest of the standard country genres are here, but her take on them is different and fresh.






Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space - Their first album took sound clips from the 40's and 50's and made ironic music out of them.  This is more of a concept album telling the story of the space race.  I though the first album was a one off, and the next album would fall flat.  The exact opposite happened.  They have captured the history and drama of the time and made it compelling. The song I put on the playlist, Go!, reminded me of watching early space flights on television and listening to the explanation of what happens if you fire the rockets at the wrong time (the astronauts miss the earth, it's bad).



Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass - It seems like every year, I have a light voiced female artist that makes the list (in the past it was Camera Obscura).  This album has more of a fold feel to it than those, but it has the solid melodies and the lyrics are interesting if you pay attention to them (which I don't always do). This is a pleasant listen.






Dawes - All Your Favorite Bands - Every time I listen to this album I hate myself.  They are overtly influenced by the Eagles and the whole Laurel Canyon scene.  There music hearkens back to 1978. The best song on the album, May All Your Favorite Bands Stay Together, deals with an idea from the same time period (really, who drives an El Camino anymore). But, I can't help myself.  It is everything that I love about pop music and it is not nearly as cheesy as their earlier albums.  A good album for a warm day on the patio with a cold beverage.


No comments:

Post a Comment