Sunday, January 22, 2012

2011 Top Ten Albums; 6 Through 10


When I pulled the albums that I bought this year, I was surprised by how many of them I thought were exceptional.  The expanding market place for music between iTunes, eMusic and Amazon allows me to buy more music for less money per album.  My subscription to Rdio allows me to listen to the music before I decide to buy it.


The top tier of recording artists and the record companies are seeing a decline in revenue due to this new model.  I think you can make a case that the industry has never been better for the small recording artist who makes there money from touring.  It is so much easier to get your music out and for people to hear it, that you are no longer at the mercy of the recording companies.  The market is still changing and I am interested in seeing where it ends up.

I decided to split this year's list in two. 

Album - Artist

Honorable Mentions:

Beirut - The Rip Tide
Robbie Robertson - How To Become Clairvoyant
White Lies - Ritual



10 - Within and Without - Washed Out - Of all the electronic music that seemed to be out there this year (The Horrors,White Lies, The Joy Formidable) this was the ablum that seemed to have warmth and emotion at its core.
9 - For True - Trombone Shorty - I guess it's jazz, and 70's funk.  At its core, it's just fun.
8 - Anna Calvi - Anna Calvi - I had to give this album a chance.  In this age of frontloaded albums designed for iTunes, it is completely backloaded.  The first two songs try to get you in the mood.  The third song grabs and it builds from there  It is grand and cinematic with textures of 60's Henry Mancini.
7 - Never Trust a Happy Song - Grouplove - Bright, exuberant pop music.  Don't hate them because they decided to take the Apple money.
6 - Rome - Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi - Danger Mouse takes on Italian movie scores.  I don't understand how you take Jack White and Norah Jones and make an album this easy to listen to, but it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment