Sunday, January 15, 2012

Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concert




Everyone has a musical history. You have the first songs you enjoyed when you were little and your parents supplied your music. Then you moved on to your own tastes, which were derived from that initial experience.

You branch out into your own music that seemed to suit you best. Then, if you are fortunate, you continue to experience new music and your taste evolves over time.

From the time I was 15 until I was 19 or 20, I loved the music of Eric Clapton. I particularly liked Cream and Derek and the Dominoes. Then he made Backless, and I moved on to Springsteen, the Clash, and the Replacements.

I still enjoy some of the older music, pausing to watch the Cream concert on PBS or the Concert for George when it is on. He's a good guitar player, I just don't share his current taste for the past 30 years.

I was watching Scorcese's George Harrison documentary on HBO and they mentioned the Rainbow concert. The mythical show where Clapton emerged from his heroin exile to perform with Steve Winwood, Ron Wood and Pete Townsend. I had never heard the album, so I fired up the Rdio account and gave it a listen.

It is the Clapton of my youth. All the songs I loved. It has the messiness of a live show that makes this type of music exciting. Plus, it is before he started messing reggae and country and western, which just mucked everything up.

It's not the music I listen to now. I won't be going back for regular visits. But, it was a nice nostalgic visit to my past.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment