Friday, December 2, 2011

Jackson Browne - Hold Out

I have always liked Jackson Browne.  It's a character flaw.  I am aware of that. I always felt his album Hold Out was better than the reviews it received.

I pulled it up and listened to it and I must now start to agree with the critics. Great and even good albums age well.  This one hasn't.  It has that really terrible early 80's drum sound.  It's like shoulder pads for women's jackets, why would they do that?  Rosemary Butler is still there in the background only now it sounds like she's doing that breathy Mavis Staples thing and it just sounds contrived.

I ended up listening to it all the way through.  The song about Lowell George is still sad. I don't know if I'll go back to listen to this again.  I've got Saturate Before Using, The Pretender and Running On Empty.  I don't really need this.

No comments:

Post a Comment