Thursday, December 1, 2011

Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow

I normally write these entries, then sit on them for a week to make sure it is really what I think about the music. I listened to this the first time Tuesday. It is a stunning collection of incredibly beautiful music. I returned to it tonight to make sure I agreed with my first assessment.

It is not like the music I normally listen to. I tend towards music with beat and melody. This is orchestral music with sparse instrumention. She weaves her way between the piano and the spaces creating intense and compelling songs.

I have always liked Kate Bush. I particularly liked Wuthering Heights and Running Up a Hill. This might be her most complete work. The only questionable choice is the song with Elton John. Really? Elton John, even though he does a good job, once you know it is him, it just doesn't fit the rest of the album.

I thought I had my favorite albums for the year already picked out. This is the equal of the other three that I am considering. It is going to be a tough choice this year, because all the albums are very different. But, that is another post for mid-January.

No comments:

Post a Comment