Sunday, December 11, 2011

Gorillaz - The Singles Collection 2001-2011

I always hate it when I'm late to the party, and, wow, am I late here.

My exposure to Gorillaz was the early videos back when MTV played videos. I didn't latch onto the cartoons. I found them dark and simplistic. I kept waiting for a band to show up somewhere. It wasn't a secret who the musicians were and I found it odd that they seem to be hiding behind a cartoon.

The music just fell kind of flat along with it. It was 2001 to 2003. We had moved into the house where we now live with both my in-laws. Winston was in the wheelchair and the girlies were little. I didn't play the stereo and I kept the volume on the videos down.

I just listened to this over headphones, and now I get it. It has a bounce and a life to it that is infectious. The key to the music is the bass response. They use a very warm  rhythm section as a counterpoint to the laconic singing that makes it really interesting. 

So here I am, ten years after they started producing music, ready to stand up and say that  Gorillaz is pretty good. I think they might turn into something and you should give them a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment