Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Paul Simon - So Beautiful Or So What

Add caption
Let me get this out of the way early. I love Graceland. I think it is an amazing album where Paul Simon explores personal issues as well as addresses serious global issues of the time. On top of that he combines his New York pop/folk with African music in a creative and compelling mix. I had set it aside for ten years, and when I picked it up again three years ago, I felt it was still relevant.

Anyway, this is not about that. I had read the reviews about the new album and the accompanying tour. I was intrigued, but not enough to do anything about it. I finally got to the album and it is very good. He is tremendously talented and is still able to make an interesting and creative album. 

The words (and my friends all know I barely pay attention to most lyrics), address topics that you would  expect him to be considering. He is looking at the larger picture of his place in the universe and how it all fits together. As always, it is thoughtful and complex.

Which raises the next question, why doesn't it grab me? I don't know. I'm going to give it a couple more listens to really give it a chance but right now, I'm left with a shrug where I say it's good, but I'm not wild about it.

Here's the bad part.  Since listening to this, I've listened to four other albums and I am about to look really shallow for not liking this. It's not the first time, it won't be the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment