Saturday, December 3, 2011

Manic Street Preachers - National Treasures, The Complete Singles

The Manic Street Preachers have always seemed like one of those bands I should like. I love Brit pop and they're British . Q magazine features them in an article every four or five months and they wet themselves every time they push a new album out.

In the last issue they gave five stars to their latest greatest hits collection. It showed up on Rdio, so I thought it would be a good point for me to become more familiar with them.

Well that's 20 minutes I won't get back. How did I manage to listen to 38 songs in that time? That's what fast forward buttons are for. I discover a lot of great music by reading Q. But it seems for every Adele or Florence and the Machine, there is a Kasabian or Kings of Leon that is this very standard arena rock that barely gets noticed over here but draws the teeming millions to festivals over there.

This was a collection of singles that made The Darkness seem inventive. 

1 comment:

  1. Goodness. For people of my vintage MSP's third album, The Holy Bible, is one of the most inventive, articulate and visceral albums ever committed to plastic. Listen to that, in its entirety - it might slightly change your opinion of the band, when 20 year 'greatest hits' collections don't necessarily do a band justice, ironically.

    ReplyDelete