Monday, December 19, 2011

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

I had a comment on my previous Manic Street Preachers post suggesting the singles collection was not a good place to dive in.  They recommended The Holy Bible which came out in 1994.

So I looked it up and tried it out (I love this new music streaming thing).  The first song, Yes, grabbed my attention.  It is a melodic, beat driven British pop anthem.  The kind of song I am a sucker for.

And then it turned.  Keep in mind, for the most part, I like beat driven melodic music.  I prefer my music to swing.  This album is angular and abrasive.  The songs are comprised of sections with drastic shifts in tempo from point to point within the songs.  I can see where people could like it.  It was not for me.

It sounded like they were trying to make some point, but they didn't grab enough of my attention for me to figure out the lyrics. I understand the circumstances around the album.  It is the last of their albums with Richey Edwards before he disappeared (he was depressed with drug and alcohol issues).

When placed in the context of 1994, it falls into a bit of a hole in my life just after my first daughter was born.  As I review the best albums of the year lists from 93 - 96, it was a period where I was doing something else besides chasing down new music.  I can see where this album would be different and new in that period.  It just didn't work for me.

I still appreciate the suggestion and I am glad I listened to it.










No comments:

Post a Comment